Friday, 25 November 2011
Questions on Notice
Charitable Organisations (Question No. 1222)
asked the Minister representing the Treasurer, upon notice, on 21 October 2011:
With reference to the High Court of Australia ruling handed down on 3 December 2008, Commissioner of Taxation of the Commonwealth of Australia v Word Investments Limited  HCA55, and the taxation treatment of not-for-profit or charitable housing organisations:
(1) Since the 'Word' decision which determined that surpluses generated by a charitable organisation were exempt from taxation if they were put back into the charity, have any issues been raised by the department in relation to charitable housing organisations.
(2) Has the department proposed legislation that places a one financial year timeline on the use of a surplus by a charitable organisation; if so, when will this be implemented.
(3) What consultation was undertaken with the not-for-profit housing sector prior to proposing this legislation.
(4) Is the department currently engaged in specific efforts to target the taxation of surpluses raised by charitable or not-for-profit organisations.
(5) Is the department or the Australian Taxation Office currently engaged in any specific effort that targets the activities of affordable housing providers.
(6) What resourcing within the department is currently devoted to charitable organisations.
(7) What resourcing within the department is currently working in the area of affordable housing.