Thursday, 10 February 2011
- That the Senate—
- the move by Coles and Woolworths to significantly discount the price of home brand milk, and
- the difficulties faced by the dairy industry across the country in part because of the duopoly of Coles and Woolworths over a long period of time;
- recalls the tripartite recommendations from the relevant 2010 Senate committee reports to seriously examine marketplace activities which impact adversely on the dairy industry;
- notes that section 49 of the Trade Practices Act 1974 pertaining to anti-price discrimination measures was removed; and
- calls on the Government to reinstate an anti-price discrimination provision in the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.